Labels

Saturday, May 25, 2013

rainy day books

It's kind of a dreadfully rainy day where we are.  It's cold and dreary.  And it's Memorial Day Weekend... which makes it feel sort of a super bummer. We had plans to have a yard sale but that got rained all over.  Basically all I want to do today is curl up with a book. There's not a whole lot that's better than the feeling I get when I'm all bundled up in a warm blanket, listening to the rain fall outside, and reading a book.  It doesn't matter that the weather isn't perfect... you can still make a perfectly lovely day out of it, I think.

With that in mind, I was browsing around the shop and looking at some of my favorite books we have, and I realized that not only do I have a love for imperfect days like today, but I absolutely am in love with slightly flawed books.  A lot of people seem to look for things, books especially, that are in mint condition.  But my favorite thing is books that have a bit of wear on them.  I feel like it's part of the story!

Like this beauty.  It's a zoology book from 1903 and we're in love.  I mean, I love it... I don't think the feeling is mutual.  But whatever, my heart will go on (Celine Dion style)


If I listed this book online I'd have to disclose it's "flaws", which would include this writing in the front cover.  But it made my heart flutter when I saw this! I love knowing it's from a high school..  I think about all the students learning from it.. or maybe rolling their eyes and hating the class the book was for...  and  also, as a local nerd thing, I love that it's spelled "Scarboro" instead of how it's actually spelled now, which is "Scarborough".


And it has a huge ink stain that goes through about 5 pages... which I love maybe even more than the umlauts on the cover.   I keep picturing a teacher grading papers and dropping their pen on the book as they fell asleep.  The corners of the pages are probably folded from where their hand jerked them awake.







And ALL of those have their own dings and dents... but I love them all the more for it.  Give me a pretty book with old pages, and a rainy day any time and I'm down :)

How do you feel about old books?  Do you have any other old collections that are maybe a little beat up that you love dearly?  

Drearily yours,
Jess (and Caiti!)

PS.  If you're down with old books... the Junior Deluxe Editions are actually for sale in our Etsy shop... as long as you don't mind a few flaws ;) 



1 comment:

  1. I love old books...and have quite a few myself. You will never find me reading from a kindle. lol
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete