Labels

Thursday, May 30, 2013

furniture redo: the Mermaid Side Table

This side table wasn't something we would normally buy, but we got a good deal, so we brainstormed quite a bit about what we could do to make it less... blech.  The table was that ubiquitous 1970s/80s table that everyone's parents seemed to have in their TV room.  Next to their big recliners... usually covered in various remotes to control the VHS, the TV & the satellite dish.  What I'm saying is, I don't find them to be a beautiful example of furniture design.  


We decided to shabby-chic it up a little bit with a pretty light blue paint.  We thought that the bottom of the table could use a little pizzazz, so we used an image transfer medium from Mod Podge to transfer a vintage mermaid graphic.  (Sidenote: we'll for sure do a DIY Post about that transfer medium later... it's really handy!).   I love how the mermaid graphic makes the blue paint seem very ocean-like... they compliment each other very well, if I do say so myself!


We put it out with some pretty Jadeite Fire King Mugs and I'm pretty in love with it.  
It's for sale in the shop if you're local and would like to check it out! 

Isn't it fun to think about how kind of crappy old furniture can turn into something pretty rad with a few ideas and some elbow grease?  It makes me feel inspired every day to open my mind up a bit and use my imagination as much as I can... as cheesy as that sounds, it's true :)

Cheesily yours,
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment